Hello and welcome to you cupid and friend!!! :D

Hey everyone! Post what you want answers and advice on, or just random amazing spazzy quotes! Be random, yourself! :D

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles


Vanessa Carlton pines for her boyfriend as she travels alone in the dainty "A Thousand Miles."
A sweet piano opens the single, setting a virtuous tone. In the first verse, she's rushing to her hotel. She's not taking notice of the people or the sights. She has one thing on her mind: her boyfriend. He said he would call her at the hotel before dinner. She's worried she may miss it.
"Making my way downtown/Walking fast/Faces pass/And I'm homebound/Staring blankly ahead/Just making my way/Making a way/Through the crowd."
In the pre-chorus, strong-willed strings appear. She declares that she would like to talk to him about the sights she saw throughout the day. She would like to say that she wishes he could be there to enjoy the city with her.
"And I need you/And I miss you/And now I wonder."
She thinks if she could do something impossible, like land on the clouds, maybe she could cause time to move faster. She says she would trek through all 49 states if it mean she could hang out with him during the evening.
"If I could fall/Into the sky/Do you think time/Would pass me by/'Cause you know I'd walk/A thousand miles/If I could/Just see you/Tonight."
While searching for her room key in her purse, she finds a ticket from a movie they saw together. She's curious if he has things that he randomly sees and immediately thinks of her. She's been away from him for months. She needs to be more than someone who exists in his mind.
"It's always times like these/When I think of you/And I wonder/If you ever/Think of me/'Cause everything's so wrong/And I don't belong/Living in your/Precious memories."
After the pre-chorus and chorus, the piano has a jubilant solo.
In the bridge, she says she's doesn't want to tell him certian things over the phone. When they lived in the same state, they shared many memories. He has forgotten any of them. He cherishes them all. Despite the distance, she wants to be in the relationship. He means a lot to her.
"And I, I/
Don't want to let you know/I, I/Drown in your memory/I, I/Don't want to let this go/I, I/Don't."
The first verse is repeated again. It's the next day and just like the last.
In the pre-chorus, her longing for him is as great as it was the day before.
"And I still need you/And I still miss you/And now I wonder."
The chorus is sung twice, the first with quiet strings and the second with full accompiant, to close the single.
Carlton is determined to make her long-distance relationship work. It's a first for them to be involved in one. She's aware of the sacrifice, even if it pains her at the most unlikely moments. However, she's willing to deal with the loneliness and crazed runs through the city to the hotel to answer the phone. Carlton's vocals are chaste yet resolute. She's dreaming of returning home and being with him again. But at the same time, she's not allowing the relationship to stop her from discovering new places.
"A Thousand Miles" is a polite pop song with its heart on every note.


Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/single-review-vanessa-carlton-a-thousand/page-2/#ixzz1BuSWMPIo


Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/single-review-vanessa-carlton-a-thousand/#ixzz1BuSSWQhT

No comments:

Post a Comment